Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Bash heredoc on FD 3

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 20:03:13, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
I can't reproduce this with my latest code.  It works fine for me
every time, independently of POSIXLY_CORRECT.

I uploaded new snapshots to https://cygwin.com/snapshots/ with all
the latest changes.  Please try again.

I retested with cygwin1-20190107.dll.xz. My results below. Note that "success"
means that with Bash, the script runs without error, regardless of
"POSIXLY_CORRECT" variable as you said. "failure" is to mean that with Bash,
running with "POSIXLY_CORRECT" produces this error:

   awk: error: can't open source file `/dev/fd/3' for reading (Permission
   denied)

Windows 10: success
Windows 8.1: failure
Windows 7: failure

Testing done using virtual machines from here:

https://developer.microsoft.com/microsoft-edge/tools/vms

Even if we must leave things as is, maybe its not that bad. Ideally it should be
working regardless of the variable as you said, but on all 3 Windows version.
But at least we have a workaround if need be. I would like to avoid unsetting
POSIXLY_CORRECT if I can though as it tends to be a net positive for me - as it
forces me to be more strict with code writing.

Also some might have the opinion "so what", lul those are old. Well, yes they
are but Windows 7 still has a higher marketshare than Windows 10:

https://netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share?id=platformsDesktopVersions

so until that changes I think we should consider it in the decsion making
process.