Other format: [Raw text]

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST: Cygwin 3.0.0-0.1

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
I uploaded a new Cygwin test release 3.0.0-0.1

What's new:

- Support for case sensitive directories.  mkdir(2) automatically
   creates directories within the Cygwin installation dir as case
   sensitive now.

   This feature requires Windows 10 1803 or later and WSL installed!

Before enabling WSL and relying on this new feature, users should check their backup tool. Some tools fail if a directory contains names which differ only in letter case. I don't know whether this may also happen if a case sensitive directory simply exists.

At least Windows' own imaging tool dism.exe is affected. It is used for example by c't-WIMage (https://heise.de/-3863074, German). This cmd script creates compact incremental backups of the system partition in install.wim files. Depending on the version of dism.exe, the failure occurs during image creation or (even worse) during restore.

I have also seen a report that some Paragon imaging tool is affected.

Regards,
Christian