Also almost there..

Hans Göebel jcgoebel@yahoo.com
Sun Sep 10 06:43:00 GMT 2000

Suhaib,

Thanks for your help. I tried your suggestion to
run startxwin.bat from the DOS prompt. I first ha dto chage the path mentioned
in it; it now points to /usr/bin/X11, which does not exist. After that, the
resuly was the same as before.
What puzzles me is that there is not a XF86config
file in my cygwin directory structure; is it not required for XWin?
Thanks again, any suggestions what to try
next?

>>L.S. > >>I have a problem
that looks a bit like the one reported recently by John Turner; however, the
solution outlined for
>>him does not work for me. >>This
is what I did: >>- installed Cygwin 1.1.4 on my machine (PIII, TNT2
video card). This was the first time I used Cygwin, so no chance >>for
B20.1 or other versions. > > >I hope people stop thinking of
B20.1.  That word is engraved in some user mind >so deep that Cygwin
can be on B20.1 but nothing else??? > > >>- downloaded all
xfree86-4.0-* tar.bz2 files >>- untarred into toplevel cygwin dir, so
installation is under /usr/X11R6 >>- added /usr/X11R6/bin and
/usr/X11R6/lib in front of the path in /etc/profile; the path is OK according to
bash. >>- entered "startxwin.bat" at the bash prompt.(XWin -screen 8
1024x768x16 has the same effect) > >You DO NOT enter startxwin.bat
at the BASH prompt.  That is your problem. >The batch files are for
DOS.  For BASH, use startx script which ships with xfree86. OR
WRITE >YOUR OWN. > > >>A few DOS boxes with xwin,
xterm etc. flash over the screen, then the screen becomes black, with just a
small >>>hour->glass shaped cursor, which can be moved around. For
the rest, the machine is completely frozen, only >the reset
>>button gets it alive again. >>Two
times there was a "lost cluster" on the disk after reboot that contained a
listing of messages just as John >>reported, apart that the text stops
after "error opening security policy
file >>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy". >>I did a
few experiments to see what could be happening: >>- I did rebuild all
font .dir files as recommended to John, but this does not help. >>- it
looks like the Xserver is running, trying to point an xterm from a linux box did
not give any errors on the
>>linux side, only nothing was visible at the
windws side! >>- the xterm on the cygwin/windows machine does work with
the MIX Xserver,only it reports that sh is not available, >>but I do not
think this could be the problem. > >>Any suggestions how to get
this to work, or at least to get some more info (logfiles etc) about what is
going >wrong? >>Any configuration files that should be
changed?