Also almost there..

Suhaib M. Siddiqi ssiddiqi@inspirepharm.com
Sun Sep 10 07:01:00 GMT 2000

Points
to /usr/bin/X1 huh?
I bet
you are making good soup of binaries of msvc compiled stuff rom contrib
directory and xfree86 stuff from
xc-4-binaries directory at Cygwin/XFree  FTP
server.

There
should be no XF86Config file.  It is not needed by XWIN.  The port was
done in a way that Windows
does
not require XF86Config file.  XF86Config file basically contains your
video, mouse and monitor info
on a
Linux box.  On Windows, we get that info by using DirectInput/DirectX,
therefore not needed.

Suggestions:

1)
Delete everything under \cygwin\usr\X11R6
2)
DOWNLOAD *bz2 archives of precompiled binaris from ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/cygwin/xfree/xc-4-binaries
3)
under \cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin edit startxwin.bat and correct the drive letters in
PATH for your installation
4)
Open a DOS shell
5) cd
\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin
6)
type startxwin
7) get
a cup of coffee and enjoy if you get it working, if not post exact error
messages from the console window

Suhaib

  -----Original Message----- From:
  cygwin-xfree-owner@sources.redhat.com
  [mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner@sources.redhat.com] On Behalf Of Hans
  Göebel Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2000 9:38 AM To:
  cygwin-xfree@sources.redhat.com Subject: RE: Also almost
  there..
  Suhaib,

  Thanks for your help. I tried your suggestion to
  run startxwin.bat from the DOS prompt. I first ha dto chage the path mentioned
  in it; it now points to /usr/bin/X11, which does not exist. After that, the
  resuly was the same as before.
  What puzzles me is that there is not a XF86config
  file in my cygwin directory structure; is it not required for
  XWin?
  Thanks again, any suggestions what to try
  next?

  >>L.S. > >>I have a problem
  that looks a bit like the one reported recently by John Turner; however, the
  solution outlined for
  >>him does not work for me. >>This
  is what I did: >>- installed Cygwin 1.1.4 on my machine (PIII, TNT2
  video card). This was the first time I used Cygwin, so no chance >>for
  B20.1 or other versions. > > >I hope people stop thinking of
  B20.1.  That word is engraved in some user mind >so deep that
  Cygwin can be on B20.1 but nothing else??? > > >>-
  downloaded all xfree86-4.0-* tar.bz2 files >>- untarred into toplevel
  cygwin dir, so installation is under /usr/X11R6 >>- added
  /usr/X11R6/bin and /usr/X11R6/lib in front of the path in /etc/profile; the
  path is OK according to bash. >>- entered "startxwin.bat" at the bash
  prompt.(XWin -screen 8 1024x768x16 has the same effect) > >You DO
  NOT enter startxwin.bat at the BASH prompt.  That is your
  problem. >The batch files are for DOS.  For BASH, use startx script
  which ships with xfree86. OR WRITE >YOUR
  OWN. > > >>A few DOS boxes with xwin, xterm etc. flash
  over the screen, then the screen becomes black, with just a small
  >>>hour->glass shaped cursor, which can be moved around. For the
  rest, the machine is completely frozen, only >the reset
  >>button gets it alive
  again. >>Two times there was a "lost cluster" on the disk after
  reboot that contained a listing of messages just as John >>reported,
  apart that the text stops after "error opening security policy
  file >>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy". >>I did a
  few experiments to see what could be happening: >>- I did rebuild all
  font .dir files as recommended to John, but this does not help. >>-
  it looks like the Xserver is running, trying to point an xterm from a linux
  box did not give any errors on the
  >>linux side, only nothing was visible at
  the windws side! >>- the xterm on the cygwin/windows machine does
  work with the MIX Xserver,only it reports that sh is not available,
  >>but I do not think this could be the problem. > >>Any
  suggestions how to get this to work, or at least to get some more info
  (logfiles etc) about what is going >wrong? >>Any configuration
  files that should be changed?