Also almost there..

Suhaib Siddiqi ssiddiqi@inspirepharm.com
Sun Sep 10 13:15:00 GMT 2000

The
console messages you posted are not error messages.  SecurityPolicy is just
the warning, if yu want you can
create
one or copy one fron a linux box.
pwin-> are farmebuffer switches and has no crash info that means X was
runing OK, and as you write you get
a gray
screen with x cursor, it emans X is runing ok.

if you
have cygwin ins talled on c: drive for exacmple c:\cywgin
then
after bzuniping and untaring installeevery thing
c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6
startxwin.bat should contains c:\cygwin\ust\X11R6\bin in path not
usr\bin\X11
not
sure from where are you getting it

Please
post to mailing list not directly to me.
Thanks

  -----Original Message----- From: Mark Terner
  [mailto:mdt@interaccess.com] Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2000 10:10
  AM To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi Subject: Re: Also almost
  there.. Hello Suhaib,
  After carefully following the instructions you've listed below, I get the
  following messages appearing in the MS-DOS window which has
  "C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\Xwin.exe" on its title bar:
          XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of
  /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root
  and then that is followed by a bunch of messages which look like this:
          .
          .
          .
          pwin->height = 00000400
          pwin->paddedWidth = 00000a00
          pwin->bitsPerPixel =
  00000010         calling
  winAllocateFramebufferMemory
  calling cfb16ScreenInit( 0a069e50, 168b0000, 00000500, 00000400, 00000064,
  00000         064, 00000800 )
          Successful addition of Screen
  0xa0672d0 0xa069e50
  pwin->width = 00000500         .
          .
          .
  and then finally, the last message looks like this:
          error opening security policy
  file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
  Is that what I should be seeing?
  Also, my screen becomes entirely blank, with a gray-shaded rectangular area
  in the middle which contains an X shaped cursor that I can move around -- but
  nothing else happens.
  I've noticed that the startxwin.bat file sets the PATH variable so that it
  includes \usr\bin\X11, but since the *bz2 files you refer to below don't
  recreate this directory, I was wondering if I need to install more than just
  these *bz2 files.
  Thanks, Mark Terner
  Suhaib M. Siddiqi wrote:

    Points to /usr/bin/X1 huh? I
    bet you are making good soup of binaries of msvc compiled stuff rom contrib
    directory and xfree86 stuff from xc-4-binaries directory at Cygwin/XFree  FTP
    server. There should be no XF86Config file.  It is not
    needed by XWIN.  The port was done in a way that Windows does not require XF86Config file.  XF86Config
    file basically contains your video, mouse and monitor info on a Linux box.  On Windows, we get that info
    by using DirectInput/DirectX, therefore not needed. Suggestions: 1) Delete
    everything under \cygwin\usr\X11R6 2)
    DOWNLOAD *bz2 archives of precompiled binaris from ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/cygwin/xfree/xc-4-binaries 3) under \cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin edit
    startxwin.bat and correct the drive letters in PATH for your
    installation 4) Open a DOS
    shell 5) cd
    \cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin 6) type
    startxwin 7) get a cup of coffee and
    enjoy if you get it working, if not post exact error messages from the
    console window Suhaib

      -----Original Message----- From:
      cygwin-xfree-owner@sources.redhat.com [ mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner@sources.redhat.com ] On
      Behalf Of Hans Göebel Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2000 9:38 AM
      To:
      cygwin-xfree@sources.redhat.com Subject: RE: Also almost there.. Suhaib, Thanks for your help. I tried your suggestion to run startxwin.bat
      from the DOS prompt. I first ha dto chage the path mentioned in it; it now
      points to /usr/bin/X11, which does not exist. After that, the resuly was
      the same as before.What puzzles me is that there is not a XF86config file
      in my cygwin directory structure; is it not required for XWin?Thanks
      again, any suggestions what to try next? >>L.S. > >>I have a problem that looks a bit like the one reported
      recently by John Turner; however, the solution outlined for>>him
      does not work for me. >>This is what I did: >>- installed Cygwin 1.1.4 on my machine
      (PIII, TNT2 video card). This was the first time I used Cygwin, so no
      chance >>for B20.1 or other versions. > > >I hope
      people stop thinking of B20.1.  That word is engraved in some user
      mind >so deep that
      Cygwin can be on B20.1 but nothing else??? > > >>-
      downloaded all xfree86-4.0-* tar.bz2 files >>- untarred into toplevel cygwin dir, so
      installation is under /usr/X11R6 >>- added /usr/X11R6/bin and /usr/X11R6/lib in front of the
      path in /etc/profile; the path is OK according to bash.
      >>- entered "startxwin.bat" at
      the bash prompt.(XWin -screen 8 1024x768x16 has the same
      effect) > >You DO
      NOT enter startxwin.bat at the BASH prompt.  That is your
      problem. >The batch
      files are for DOS.  For BASH, use startx script which ships with
      xfree86. OR WRITE >YOUR OWN. > > >>A
      few DOS boxes with xwin, xterm etc. flash over the screen, then the screen
      becomes black, with just a small >>>hour->glass shaped cursor,
      which can be moved around. For the rest, the machine is completely frozen,
      only >the
      reset>>button gets it alive again. >>Two times there was a "lost cluster" on
      the disk after reboot that contained a listing of messages just as John
      >>reported, apart that the text stops after "error opening security
      policy file >>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy".
      >>I did a few experiments to see
      what could be happening: >>- I did rebuild all font .dir files as recommended to
      John, but this does not help. >>- it looks like the Xserver is running, trying to point an
      xterm from a linux box did not give any errors on the>>linux side,
      only nothing was visible at the windws side! >>- the xterm on the cygwin/windows machine
      does work with the MIX Xserver,only it reports that sh is not available,
      >>but I do not think this could be the problem.
      > >>Any suggestions how to get this to work,
      or at least to get some more info (logfiles etc) about what is going
      >wrong? >>Any
      configuration files that should be changed?