X windows display problem

Thomas Chadwick j_tetazoo@hotmail.com
Fri Aug 30 13:20:00 GMT 2002

What is the value of the DISPLAY environment variable on the remote machine
after running ssh?

It should have a value of "<remotehostname>:10.0", or something similar.

If it's empty, or the value looks like "<remotehostname>:0.0",
"<localhostname:0.0", or simply ":0", then there is a problem with the X
forwarding.

Note that the ssh daemon on the remote machine has to be explicitly told to
enable X forwarding.  This might be to blame.

I've also seen the existance of the .Xauthority file in the home directory
on the local Cygwin host cause problems.