X windows display problem

Thomas Chadwick j_tetazoo@hotmail.com
Fri Aug 30 18:18:00 GMT 2002

I guess I should have read your message a little more carefully before
replying.  You said that sshd has been configure with X11Forwarding turned
on.

Give the following a try:

1) On the local system, before running ssh, echo the value of DISPLAY. It
should have a value of "<localhost>:0.0" or something similar.  If it
doesn't, manually set it to the correct value.  Verify its value by running
a simple xclient like xeyes.
2) Run your ssh -X command.
3) On the remote system, echo the value of DISPLAY.  It should have a value
of "<remotesystem>:10.0" or something similar.  If it doesn't have the right
value, try setting it manually.  If that doesn't work, then I'm stumped.