XDMCP on Windows 95

J S vervoom@hotmail.com
Tue Dec 3 15:21:00 GMT 2002

>Okay, okay, but I didn't want to be that hard on Sylvain as he is a good
>contributor to our discussions... I just wanted to put up a friendly
>reminder that everyone, I more so than others, should sometimes tone down
>our messages.  That's all.
>
>Harold
>
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 04:33:26PM -0500, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>>
>>>I am not understanding why your response was appropriate.  The default
>>>port for XDM has nothing to do with Microsoft, unless Microsoft has
>>>decided to use port 177 for one of their products.  If that was the case,
>>>then a simple mention that ``Product Foo'' uses port 177 would have been
>>>sufficient, right?
>>

>>AFAICT, it's the standard Cygwin response #13, issued when someone is
>>confused about the process and wants to make a point by letting everyone
>>know how bad Microsoft is and exhorting all of us not to be that way.
>>
>>In other words, it was a value-free message.  Alexander's response was
>>perfectly clear and he didn't need to be taken to task for some imagined
>>attitude.
>>
>>cgf

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the interest! Just to get things back into perspective... The
reason for choosing some random port number for debugging xdm was because I
couldn't kill the daemon on port 177 as this machine is being used by other
people .

I was able to fire off a solaris desktop session on my windows 95 machine
from the xdm on the server, but wasn't sure how to do it the other way round
i.e. run the XWin -query command and get it to connect to my xdm debug
instance running on the different port. Is this possible?

Thanks for the help,

JS.