[packages] gtk+, glib, imlib

Harold L Hunt huntharo@msu.edu
Fri Jul 12 08:08:00 GMT 2002

Nicholas Wourms <nwourms@yahoo.com> said:

> --- Harold L Hunt <huntharo@msu.edu> wrote:
> > Nicholas,
> >
> > > He has something.  Frankly, I think we should let harold release these
> > > packages.  He's got a firm understanding of the underlying mechanics
> > of
> > > how X works.  Plus if you commit to maintainership of 1.X, then it is
> > > assumed that you will be working on porting 2.X.  Are you ready for
> > this
> > > responsibility?
> >
> > It is not going to happen.  I simply do not have time to work on
> > packages
> > other than Cygwin/XFree86 proper.  Sure, I have released a few extra
> > packages,
> > but that was just to get the ball rolling on XFree86 category packages.
> > For
> > future reference: I do not intend to assume maintainership of any new
> > packages.  However, I reserve the right to post an initial version of
> > packages
> > that compile out of the box, just to get things started.
> >
> > I hope that clears things up,
>
> Harold,
>
> I'm sorry, I never meant to unload additional work onto you.  In previous
> messages regarding berkley db, you mentioned that you were going to stick
> to X packages, so I assumed you meant the packages you were already
> working on for X.  Apparently this is not the case, which is OK.  I'm glad
> you cleared things up for everyone.
>
> Cheers,

I will admit that I gave some mixed signals.  I thought I was going to have a
lot more free time, which I do.  But I also thought that XFree86 itself would
not take anymore time than it already did.  However, there has been no
shortage of things to do for XFree86.  After we get the scrollbars patch
landed and the cross compilation fixes merged I really do plan on working on a
rootless server.  You may have seen some place-holding files creep into the
patches lately.  That is because I have been studying the XonX code to how it
does things.  If you ever want to look at sloppy, convuluted, uncommented
code, just have a look at xc/programs/Xserver/hw/darwin.  Yikes.  That code
can really give you a headache.