Difference between installing Xfree-4.2.0 using setup and install.sh

Thomas Chadwick j_tetazoo@hotmail.com
Mon Jul 22 13:06:00 GMT 2002

Whenever I see an error message referring to "MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE", it usually
has something to do with the (non)existence of an .Xauthority file.

Perhaps installing Cygwin-Xfree86 via one method results in an .Xauthority
file whereas installing via the other method doesn't?  This would be an
interesting thing to check.

If I ever see an .Xauthority file, I usually delete it.  Truth be told, I've
never quite figured out how to use it properly or of what benefit it is to
me.

FWIW, I launch XWin via xinit, .xinitrc does not contain "xhost +127.0.0.1",
the value of DISPLAY is reportedly ":0", and everything works just fine
(including ssh -X).