Difference between installing Xfree-4.2.0 using setup and install.sh

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Mon Jul 22 12:36:00 GMT 2002

Raymond Kwong wrote:
> I have previously installed Xfree 4.2.0 when it first came out on
> cygwin, using the old method of running install.sh. Everything worked
> fine. Recently, I installed Xfree 4.2.0 using setup.exe on another
> computer (both computers run Windows 2000). On the new computer, if I
> ssh to another computer using "ssh -X hostname", I get the following
> error message
>
> Xlib: connection to "localhost:10.0" refused by server
> Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
> Application initialization failed: couldn't connect to display "localhost:10.0"
> %
>
> This error does not occur with the older installation using install.sh.
> The cygwin1.dll version is the same, and the ssh version is the same.
> Fortunately, the error is readily eliminated by adding the line
>
> xhost +127.0.0.1
>
> to .xinitrc. on the new computer. Then everything works fine.
>
> A similar difference can also be reproduced with 2 Windows 98 machines.
> Is there a reason for this apparent difference?
>
> Raymond Kwong

Raymond,

It is always possible that you had made the modification to .xinitrc on
the older Cygwin/XFree86 installations and then forgotten that you had
done so.

Can you ensure is that the line ``xhost +127.0.0.1'' is not in the
.xinitrc files on the hosts that you installed via Xinstall.sh?