New xlauncher (was: Re: Success with Java prog in XFree)

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Sun Jul 7 12:13:00 GMT 2002

Harold Hunt wrote:

>>WTF?  I don't follow the xfree list all that closely, but didn't this
>>thread start out as "Success with Java prog in XFree"?  I just assumed
>>that 'xlauncher' WAS that Java prog.  Sorry for the confusion.
>>

> You know... sometimes I'm just not paying any attention at all.  What has
> happened to me?!?
>
> A Java xlauncher sounds fine to me, for now.  I'd eventually prefer that it
> be written in C or C++.
>
> How large are the Java runtimes for Cygwin?  I'm sure we'll get complains
> along the lines of, ``before I had to install 100 MB for Cygwin/XFree86, now
> I have to install XX MB more for the xlauncher program, blah''.  So I'm not
> really excited about sticking with Java forever.
>
> Feeling like an idiot,

You shouldn't.  You were correct originally.  The xlauncher program IS
written in Delphi.

The first message in this thread contained the following postscript:

> PS: I am working on a xlauncher based on the one made available by Tim
> Thomson but for Cygwin(not only the cuted package from him).
> I want to include a file text that will contains some definition
> of servers to access (as IP address, OS, and so on).
> I will try to make it available. Where should I send it when ready
> (probably in 1 or 2 weeks) ?

That launched the subthread, which was properly marked using the [was: ]
construction.

The problem here was *my* connection between the xlauncher subthread
<---> and java.

You're not the idiot -- I am.

--Chuck