Using only the X server of Cygwin

Ian Burrell iburrell@znark.com
Sun Jul 7 12:37:00 GMT 2002

Rhialto wrote:

> I am testing the Cygwin/XFree server to use it as a remote display for
> my Unix box which runs xdm: XWin -broadcast.
>
> So in the installer I choose to de-install "All", and to install *only*
> XFree86-xserv. I noted that the installer installed a lot of things that
> are not necessary for that, such as header files, info files, terminfo
> stuff, static link libraries, xterm, sh, twm, etc. And it downloaded a
> lot more which it apparently did not even install, such as bash, diff,
> diffutils, fileutils, etc.

Cygwin setup by default installs all the packages for an Unix
environment. The default XFree86 install includes everything for running
local X server and programs.  More people want this than a minimal
remote X setup.

> I could also do without all those megabytes of fonts, since I have a
> perfectly ok font server, but apparently no way to specify it for the X
> server.

Add -fp tcp/other:7100 to the XWin command line. Or do
"xset +fp tcp/other:7100" from a terminal.

> I also downloaded xwinclip-test06, but that would not work because the X
> server refused the connection, and I could find no way to do the
> equivalent of "xhost +localhost" from its command line.

When doing an XDM session, the X server doesn't allow connection from
the local machine.  You need to do a "xhost +localhost" from an xterm.

> So in short, it would be nice to have the installer *just* the files
> that are required to run "XWin -broadcast", and nothing more. That would
> be the XWin.exe itself, the dlls it really requires, rgb.txt, fonts if
> no font server can be used, and maybe a few other files I am forgetting.
> All that doesn't need to take the current 63.263.779 bytes (32.158.116
> bytes downloaded).

If you want a minimal install, you can select only the packages that are
completely necessary: XFree86-base, XFree86-bin, XFree86-etc,
XFree86-xserv, and XFree86-lib.

  - Ian

--
Ian Burrell