Using only the X server of Cygwin

Jeremy Wilkins jeb@jeremywilkins.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jul 8 03:18:00 GMT 2002

A while back I did some work creating a standalone XDMCP client, more as
a test than anything.

Xwin depends on cygz.dll & cygwin1.dll as ago said. Xwin complains if it
doesn't have rgb.txt, this can be put anywhere though and its location
specified in the Xwin command line (needs a cygwin style path to the
file though).

Xwin still needs a /tmp. If cygwin isnt installed properly, then / will
default to the root of the drive Xwin is running from (normally c:).

It needs this folder for several reasons, it creates Xwin.log here, and
a local socket .X11-unix (can be stopped passing '-nolisten local' to
Xwin). It also needs /tmp if loading xkb keymaps.

/tmp can be mounted whereever you like using cygwins mount command, this
will be remembered for when you then run Xwin (hence xkb's and Xwin.log
can go where you like). Mount only depends on cygwin1.dll

fonts aren't required if you specify a font server using Xwin cmdline
parameters.

I've found out most of this since I wrote my XDMCP client, but its
available at http://www.jeremywilkins.freeserve.co.uk/eXtend/ warning
this is a VB6 app so probably isn't gpl'd.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy