need help scripting multiple xfree startups

Harold Hunt huntharo@msu.edu
Sun Jul 21 15:10:00 GMT 2002

Dennis,

I always launch Cygwin/XFree86 from an icon on the desktop that points to
the startxwin.bat file in c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin.  The batch file starts an
xterm and when the xterm pops up I run:

ssh -X -C username@hostname

I type in my password and that is it.

As for avoiding typing in your password, I can say a few things, but I can't
hold your hand on this one.  You should already know that saving a password
on a computer in plaintext represents a huge security risk.  With that being
said, I am sure that you know that ssh allows you to use keys to verify the
identity of a user and to provide authentication (via a password check).
You can, I am told, clear the password on an ssh key.  Clearing the password
on an ssh key is just a dangerous as saving a password to disk in plaintext.

However, if you are willing to except the risks of having an ssh key with no
password, then I suggest that you search google for ``OpenSSH'' and read the
docs on their site about how to change the password on a key, etc.  I have
never personally done this, so I cannot provide any further details.

Harold