Xwin.exe application failed to initialize errors with KDE

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Thu Nov 7 23:36:00 GMT 2002

Reginald,

Follow Chris's suggestion about setting the flags on the files.

If that doesn't work, I once helped a user install KDE on
Cygwin/XFree86.  I don't know why, but for some reason that user felt
the need to copy about five random Cygwin and KDE dlls into
\WINNT\SYSTEM32.  His system was giving roughly the same errors and
failing to start Cygwin/XFree86.  I started poking around, found those
DLLs, removed them, and everything worked fine.

Point being: try to remember if you copied any DLLs anywhere and delete
those extra copies.  You did get the KDE package that replaces a few of
the XFree86 DLLs with SHM-enabled versions, right?  That package is
essential.

Harold