XWin.exe <--> xinit link

Thomas Chadwick j_tetazoo@hotmail.com
Mon Nov 18 13:26:00 GMT 2002

xinit does 2 things - it launches the X server and then one or more X
clients.

If you want to customize the X client part (including the Window Manager),
create/modify/edit the file $HOME/.xinitrc.

If you want to customize the X server part, create/modify/edit the file
$HOME/.xserverrc.

Alternatively, you can pass command-line options to the X server by
specifying them on xinit's command-line after "--".  For example, "xinit --
-rootless" will cause XWin to startup in rootless mode.

As for the console window, there is no way to avoid it being there until
xinit completes, which doesn't happen until after the X server shuts down.
This is really no different than if you use a  Windows batchfile to fire up
XWin and one or more local X clients.  It's a "necessary evil".