x-server with window-manager

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Fri Oct 18 14:10:00 GMT 2002

Sven,

For future reference, Cygwin/XFree86 is not in any way based on Xnest.

Also, what you are trying to accomplish has nothing to do with whether a
window is created by a local X client or by a remote X client with X11
forwarding.

Now, to answer  your question, yes, there is preliminary support for a
so-called ``rootless''.  However, this ``rootless'' mode still requires
an X Window Manager.  That is, X clients do not appear within a Windows
window, they appear within an X window, but the root window is not
displayed so it looks like the X apps are floating above your Windows apps.

The release announcement for the ``rootless'' support is here:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-10/msg00160.html

Also, I posted a slightly faster binary, Test 67, that you can download
instead of Test 66:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-10/msg00188.html

Or, you can wait a day or two and I will make an official Test 67
release announcement and you can just download that version then.

Harold