Rootless Mode is an Important and Needed Feature

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Fri Sep 27 12:54:00 GMT 2002

Really?  Thanks for the insight.  Are you willing to sacrifice 20 hours
per week to work on it?  No?

In case you didn't notice, rootless mode has been on the To-Do list for
over a year.  It is simply difficult and large in scope, thus no one is
working on it.  In fact, there isn't really any work going on in
Cygwin/XFree86 on a daily basis, so rootless mode isn't going to get
done anytime soon unless you are volunteering.

Also, a question for you: What do I gain from sacrificing my time to
implement a rootless mode?  A rising stock price?  A raise in my salary?
  Worldwide fame?  A recommendation for a job?  Nope --- I get none of
that, I only loose my free time, so any time I spend on Cygwin/XFree86
had damn well better be worth it to me, because I'm the only one that
can give me something for me efforts (which is simply giving myself
satisfaction that I accomplished something, which I already have plenty of).

Feeling fiesty?  Why don't you suggest that we translate X graphics
calls to GDI graphics calls next --- then I can once again point you to
the To-Do list and to some work in progress.

Sheesh.

Harold