can not start 'startx' from the prompt and missing files

kiwhan chung kiwhan@hotmail.com
Tue Apr 22 17:02:00 GMT 2003

Howdy,

I am posting two questions thinking the two may be related....  I appreciate
your help.  Kiwhan

Question 1:
I am trying to find out why command 'startx' at the prompt gives me an error
message and won't start the xwindow.  Cygwin1.dll is installed only in
C:\cygwin\bin.  Below is the error message on the screen.

>$ startx
>
>xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  no server "X" in PATH
>
>Use the -- option, or make sure that /usr/X11R6/bin is in your path and
>that "X" is a program or a link to the right type of server
>for your display.  Possible server names include:
>
>    XFree86     XFree86 displays
>
>giving up.
>xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X server
>xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

Question 2:

My .xinitrc file in my home directory says this.  My question is...
shouldn't I have the .Xresources and .Xmodmap files in the
/usr/X11R6/X11/xinit directory also?  I checked and I don't have that
directory at all.