blue screen death when starting X

Supreme Commander fluid_ops@hotmail.com
Thu Aug 14 10:27:00 GMT 2003

Hi
I wanted a UNIX environment in WinXP, so I downloaded Cygwin, full package.
In order to run Emacs in a window of my own, I was recommended to start a
program "usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.sh". Unfortunately, this results in a
blue-screen-of-death; the immediate shutdown of the system. Is this a bug
(..in cygwin)?

Even though I run RedHat, I am quite new to Linux/Unix, so I am afraid I
need detailed help if possible. What I want to accomplish is as follows:

Run Emacs in a interactive window (where I can use mouse on the 'file',
'edit'.. -menus) This I could not with the emacs started in the cygwin
terminal window (GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, X toolkit))

Write Fortran programs in Emacs, with the color-aid provided in i.e RedHat.
Example: writing "integer i" will colorcode keyword "integer", and also
variable 'i'.

Compile this to a UNIX excecutable program.

Finally; Is there a message board, or some kind of discussion forum that I
can visit, and search for additional help?

Thank you very much
Jens