Xterminal

Ingvaldur.Sigurjonsson@ementor.se Ingvaldur.Sigurjonsson@ementor.se
Mon Aug 25 09:56:00 GMT 2003

Hi all,

Enclosed you find a 'decxterm.sh'-shell script that launches an ordinary xterm but with the keyboard remapped to suit OpenVMS LK* keyboard mappings.

I was previously using DECTerm but after the latest upgrade of XFree86 Server for Cygwin (-> 4.3x) the keyboard didn't function as it used to be. I couldn't get any key's that needed the 'AltGr' in a combination (like '@','$','{','[',']','}'). I'm using Swedish keyboard layout. The same symptom appears when I'm using GVIM from OpenVMS, haven't tried Emacs yet (maybe in next life...).

I also recommend that you copy the DECW-fonts (the 75dpi and/or 100dpi) from OpenVMS to your XFree86/Cygwin fontdirectory /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts...
I found them here: SYS$COMMON:[SYSFONT.DECW].

You add the DECW fonts to your fontpath with a script like:

#!/bin/sh
echo "Adding DECW Fonts (75dpi)"
xset fp+ /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/decw/75dpi

I've been using the XFree86/Cygwin daily since April against OpenVMS systems and Unixes, and I must say that I'm very impressed by it, previously I did use Reflection X (and Xcursion), but XFree86/Cygwin is a very good alternative/replacement for those products.

Regards
- Ingvaldur