Error: procedure entry point in cygwin1.dll

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Sun Dec 7 23:23:00 GMT 2003

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 05:31:57PM -0500, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>
>>The overall point to be taken home here is that you can't trust the
>>search facility in XP unless you are prepared to ask people if they have
>>done things in a very specific way *and* you are prepared to trust their
>>response to those questions.  It ends up being a huge waste of time when
>>you could instead run a command-line search and be done with it.
>

> I'm pretty certain that using the search facility in XP for the purpose
> of searching for duplicate cygwin1.dll's should work just fine.

Again, it might work in this case.  But, I'm talking about reasons for
using a different approach that works in all cases.  It really doesn't
matter though.

> Using cygwin's command-line search in a scenario where cygwin doesn't
> work is obviously not going to work and using dir/s is rather laborious
> and error-prone if you have multiple drives.

I guess.

> In the many years of advising people to use GUI utility, I've never
> heard anyone say that they failed to find what they were looking for
> with this method.

Well, many years of prior experience doesn't really matter since I am
complaining about the broken search functionality in XP, which isn't
many years old :)  Search did work fine in Windows until XP, but now it
has a lot of caveats, and I am not good at remembering caveats.