Trouble with DDD download via cygwin setup

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Tue Dec 9 17:39:00 GMT 2003

y2bismil@engmail.uwaterloo.ca wrote:
> I'm having trouble downloading the ddd version maintained by Harold Hunt.
> I have cygwin setup version 2.416.  I setup the server to point to
> http://www.egr.msu.edu/~huntharo/cygwin/.  I process normally through the cygwin
> setup.  I located the ddd entry in the package list under Xfree86.  I select it
> and set it to install ddd 3.3.8-1 (binary).  I click Next and it starts
> downloading the file ddd-3.3.8-1.tar.bz2.  I gets almost too completion( 96%,
> 1384k/1435k), and then an error message just comes up and says  "download
> imcomplete try again".  I've repeated this many times, all to the same result.

I must have messed up the setup.ini file so it is expecting a larger
file.  I should fix this, but I have a final due today and my wife is
very sick.

> I then tried manually downloading the file from
> http://www.egr.msu.edu/~huntharo/cygwin/release/ddd/ddd-3.3.8-1.tar.bz2, which
> downloaded fine.  I extracted it (into a private dir), but when I tried to run
> the executable it says it could not find cygxm-2.dll.  I'm assuming this is
> either motif or lestiff related from a google.  The main story here is that the
> file is downloaded if I do not go through cygwin setup.

That's what happens when you install a package by hand: you don't get
the dependencies.  You need LessTif and possibly some other packages.