setup 2.416 crashes when I try to install XFree86.

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Fri Dec 12 21:49:00 GMT 2003

Matthew Wilson wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I have cygwin installed OK on my windows XP machine.  I installed from a
> local directory after running wget to grab everything I thought I would
> need.  I want to use cygwin-xfree instead of Hummingbird Exceed to
> connect to my department's linux server, so I started up setup.exe
> (version 2.416) again and chose the XFree86-Base packages.
>
> Then I clicked next, and the installer just disappeared.  I've run this
> several times on different computers and always gotten the same results.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?

Use a different mirror and install from the mirror, not from the local
drive.

> The only thing I can think of is that I'm somehow missing something the
> setup program needs.  I have a complete copy of everything starting at
> the cygwin directory, except for the mail-archives.
>
> This is the exact syntax of the wget command I ran to pull down my copy:
>
> wget --passive-ftp --recursive --no-clobber --no-host-directories \
>     --cut-dirs=2 -X/pub/cygwin/mail-archives -R '*-src.tar.bz2' \
>     ftp://mirrors.umbc.edu/pub/cygwin
>
> I reran this script to refresh my local copy and I still had problems.

Is this actually supported?  I'm not sure that anyone has done this
before.  Let me suggest instead using the download option in setup.exe
from a machine that can connect to the internet without problems, then
copy that archive to the machines that cannot connect.

Alternatively, you should probably be using 'rsync' instead of wget, but
I cannot offer much more help on that.

> Our work firewall+proxy setup made other install methods impossible for
> me. I have tried them already.

You did try telling setup.exe to use your proxy?  I can't see why it
wouldn't work if you picked an http:// mirror.