numlock

Thomas Chadwick j_tetazoo@hotmail.com
Thu Feb 6 20:47:00 GMT 2003

Actually, the instructions were mine, not Harold's (they were in response to
a note from Harold).

Try this...

Start X without the NumLock modification.  In an xterm, run "xmodmap -pm".
You should see something that resembles the following:

xmodmap:  up to 2 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x6d)
mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_R (0x71)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3
mod4
mod5        Scroll_Lock (0x4e)

If "Num_Lock" shows up next to something other than mod2, then you'll need
to change what comes after "clear" when you run xmodmap.

Alternatively, you might experiment with the following scriptlet which tries
to figure out which mod key is assigned to NumLock...

numlock=`xmodmap -pm | grep -i num_lock | awk '{print $1}'`
if [ "$numlock" != "" ]
then
  xmodmap -e "clear $numlock" ${HOME}/.Xmodmap
fi

Of course, if your NumLock key was already assigned to mod2, then I'm not
sure what's going on.  You might want to experiment with running xev.  If
you've cleared NumLock from the keymap, then the value of "state" inside a
KeyPress/Release event resulting from pressing a key on the numeric keypad
should be 0x0 regardless of whether NumLock is on or off.