altGR key problem with windows XP

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Fri Feb 14 17:36:00 GMT 2003

Andreas,

The message I sent was:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-11/msg00137.html

Granted, looking back at that message I obviously joined two sentences
together and dropped out a few words so it is pretty confusing.

What I was trying to say was that the patch you sent me modified a function
that was not being compiled in the default compile.  It is as simple as
that.

There are one of two explanations for how this happened:

1) You updated an old or odd version of the source code that only had one
version of the function that was not being compiled.  When you made a diff
it looked like you were updating the version that was #if def'd out, when in
fact you were updating a file that only had one version of the function and
your file had no such #if def's in it.

2) You modified other files, most likely win.h, and flipped some flags that
told that #if def'd out version of the function to be compiled.

Either way, I spent two hours back in November trying to get your patch to
apply cleanly.  I eventually gave up and sent you the above message, to
which I never noticed a response (doesn't mean that there was not a
response).

>From your new explanation I believe that your patch certainly works, but I
still need you to download the latest code from CVS and apply your patch to
that code by hand.  Then run the following:

cd xc/programs/Xserver/hw
cvs -z3 diff -U3 xwin > xwin-altgr.diff

Then send me altgr.diff.  That way I will be sure to have any and all files
that were updated.

Oh yeah, and please follow the style that is used in the current files, as I
really don't want to spend time reformatting and renaming variables, etc.

Also, try to make only the changes that are necessary.

Thanks for your contribution,