Possible X-Wndows problem

Mark Manning markem@ev1.net
Fri Jun 6 16:34:00 GMT 2003

(Ah! I see that I have to redo the subject line each time in order to
thread things!)

I had Norton SystemWorks but gave it to my younger brother some time
back.  So no such luck (unfortunately).  I have noticed the memory
manager does seem to slowly but surely creep upwards.  However, as I
said, I haven't sat here and watched it for the entire time.  I just
come back after a long time and it has crashed.  Haven't had time to get
the program together so I can post it.  Lots of things happening on my
end.  (And here I thought getting laid off would make my life simpler!)

On the Wndow98se staying up: When I switched from the Mac to the IBM
(mainly because of price and not because I like IBM PCs) I had many
weeks of crashes, re-installs, and the like.  But I found a full-proof
way to make Windows98se (at least) become very stable.  All it takes is
to allow each piece of software to install the typical installation
version.  Then go back and install any optional components you need.  I
have found that by doing this my system became very stable.  My usual
uptime for my system is between fifteen minutes and a week depending
upon what I am doing.  (ie: From boot to shutdown)  I rarely get crashes
even though I am programming on the thing and when I do get crashes it
is usually because I did something incorrectly.  The program I ran under
Cygwin originally was created under Linux and then moved to Cygwin.  It
never crashed under Linux so I was surprised that it had done so under
Cygwin.  :-)

(Ugh.  It is already time to get ready to go run around town for a
couple of hours.  Maybe tonight I will have the time to post everything.
 It is only two small programs but I want to make sure they crash Cygwin
before I post them.)

Mark