xfree

Jack Tanner ihok@hotmail.com
Fri Jun 13 19:52:00 GMT 2003

Csaba, please don't reply to me directly. This is so experts may help in
answering your question, as well as to save the Q&A for posterity so that
all readers may benefit.

>I work in tcsh. I believe export in bash would be the SETENV in tcsh?

Yes (but setenv in lower case).

>I tried it and it gave different behaviour, but the end result still was
>"can't open display".

What was the exact behavior? Please paste your exact commands and output,
that will help in diagnosing the problem.

>Also, when I ssh-ed to my office linux puter, it gave a warning that I used
>fake authentification for X11 forwarding (I guess it did not like the
>127.0.0.1 ?).

Your local machine has to be set up for xauth. Do

# xauth generate :0 .

(Don't forget the period at the end.) For more info, see man xauth.

-JT