xfree

Csaba Palotai c0palo01@louisville.edu
Fri Jun 13 20:11:00 GMT 2003

>>I tried it and it gave different behaviour, but the end result still was
>>"can't open display".
> What was the exact behavior? Please paste your exact commands and output,
> that will help in diagnosing the problem.
I use
setenv DISPLAY 127.0.0.1:0.0
and then I get sort of the same "Can't open display" message but not
immediately as before, but there's a good 20 sec delay in between.

> # xauth generate :0 .
> (Don't forget the period at the end.) For more info, see man xauth.
ok, now

%xauth generate :0 .
xauth:  creating new authority file /home/csaba/.Xauthority
xauth: (argv):1:  unable to open display ":0".

And the .Xauthority file was not created either.
i believe the whole xfree does not work correctly on my syste, which is just
weird cuz I installed the whole cygwin package which should take care of it.