question about multiwindow mode and application icons

Earle F. Philhower III earle@ziplabel.com
Fri May 16 05:48:00 GMT 2003

Howdy again Ralf...
At 11:36 PM 5/15/2003 +0200, you wrote:
> > Howdy Ralf...
> > >2. The window title setting is delayed for about a second. You can
> > >verify this with xterm.

I was able to get the "proper" way implemented, namely a 3rd thread that
sleeps on a XNextEvent and which takes away the timeout in the main WM
thread.  Now title changes are instantaneous, and no timeout polling is
needed.  It turns out you just need to listen to the root window and
there's no need to communicate from the WM->XNextEvt thread at all.  It
also seems to not lose its mind when my screen saver kicks in, but I'll have
to run it for a day or so to be sure.

I am attaching a diff against the raw xwin-20030513-0954 sources, it's easier
to just start without the timeout polling hack.

-Earle F. Philhower, III
  earle@ziplabel.com
  cdrlabel - ZipLabel - FlpLabel
  http://www.cdrlabel.com