Apply Ralf's Role Patch?

Earle F. Philhower III earle@ziplabel.com
Wed May 28 03:51:00 GMT 2003

Howdy Harold...
At 10:53 PM 5/27/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>I have merged Earle's changes to the icon handling, but I can't tell if
>there is a consensus to merge Ralf's role patch.  Has it been decided that
>the role patch will need to be more robust?  Should I just apply it anyway
>so that we all have the same code base to work from?

 From what Ralf mentioned about the ICCCM it seems the wm_role needs
to be taken into account in addition to the other naming rules, not
just by itself which is what his original change did.  Ralf may have
more to say...

FWIW the more I read about X11 windows and how it compares to Windoze
windows, the more it seems that a unique class per window, not just per
class and name is needed.  A WM_HINT with an icon is a property of a
single window, not all windows of a specific class.  The res_class and
res_name are really just for WMs who want to do things like reposition
windows or override application icons, and are not guaranteed to be
unique.

That's the great thing about standards, there are just so many to pick
from! :)  WM_HINTS.icon is too good for KDE apps, WM_ROLE is sometimes
used, sometimes not, and everybody has their own icon size.  It almost
makes the Windoze conventions seem sensible!

-Earle F. Philhower, III
  earle@ziplabel.com
  cdrlabel - ZipLabel - FlpLabel
  http://www.cdrlabel.com