Font and .bat files missing when installing XFree86 only?

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Fri Oct 31 17:34:00 GMT 2003

Hans Dekker wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Having downloaded a version of XFree86, I see a difference between a
> previous version and this one:
>
> - When installing de XFree86 option only, no fonts are installed. I had
> to install (= copy) font files from a previous version and that worked.
> Am I missing something?

You need the XFree86-fnts package at a minimum.  I am surprised that
this was not automatically selected.  Are you sure that you selected
XFree86-base?  That package lists XFree86-fnts as a dependency, so it
should have been automatically selected.

> - Also, some useful .bat files of which startxwin.bat is one, are
> missing from the current installation. Even when installing the complete
> package wouldn't help. Why was that?

You have to pick the XFree86-startup-scripts package.

Hope that helps.