Xwin stackdump while logging into RH8 with KDE as window manager

Joel Rosi-Schwartz Joel.Rosi-Schwartz@Etish.org
Fri Sep 5 16:34:00 GMT 2003

Harold,

Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> Joel,
>
> Okay, I have a couple more easy things to try that might have an effect:
>
> 1) Use "-fullscreen" to run in a full screen window... you may be
> seeing the results of some sort of image scaling problem.  Running in
> full screen gives you a standard aspect ratio screen, so it might
> aleviate the problem.

nope

> 2) Use "-engine 1".  This uses the GDI engine instead of DirectDraw.
> GDI may not be affected in the same way as DirectDraw.

nope

> 3) Use "-clipupdates 10".  This will group together all updates to the
> Cygwin/XFree86 window that have more than 10 regions in them.  This
> may prevent your problem from causing a crash.

nope :-(

> 4) Don't use the "2>/dev/null" in your startx script anymore.  At best
> it is not needed since we are not a console app... at worst it is
> redirecting a file handle that is not expected and may be causing
> problems.  In fact, please try using startxdmcp.bat... it has much
> fewer side effects that any other method of starting the server and
> will rule out a few questions in my mind.

I took out the /dev/null and your point is well taken.  Then I tried
startxdmcp.bat but unfortunately the behaviour remains the same.

> I understand what your problem is.  I also know that sometimes strange
> things happen that I do not expect and trying a few things that don't
> make sense often ends up fixing the problem and alerting me to
> something that I didn't know what happening.

I figured that you did and I understand that you are being meticulous
with eliminating possible causes, but sometimes it pays to double check
when no certain.

> Thanks for testing,

Well actually it is I who am thankful. It is really appreciated how well
you support this list and my problem in particular. Thanks.

What's next :-)

- joel