Xwin stackdump while logging into RH8 with KDE as window manager

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Fri Sep 5 16:51:00 GMT 2003

Joel,

The next step is to have you run a debug build of XWin.exe.  We should
be able to locate the offending line of code, so long as it is a problem
internal to XWin.exe and not in an external library (it almost never
is).  I am creating a debug build of XWin.exe for you to try now.  I
really should have done this a long time ago... we have a few types of
random crashes now that need to be fixed.

Harold

Joel Rosi-Schwartz wrote:

> Harold,
>
> Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>
>> Joel,
>>
>> Okay, I have a couple more easy things to try that might have an effect:
>>
>> 1) Use "-fullscreen" to run in a full screen window... you may be
>> seeing the results of some sort of image scaling problem.  Running in
>> full screen gives you a standard aspect ratio screen, so it might
>> aleviate the problem.
>

> nope
>
>> 2) Use "-engine 1".  This uses the GDI engine instead of DirectDraw.
>> GDI may not be affected in the same way as DirectDraw.
>

> nope
>

>> 3) Use "-clipupdates 10".  This will group together all updates to the
>> Cygwin/XFree86 window that have more than 10 regions in them.  This
>> may prevent your problem from causing a crash.
>

> nope :-(
>

>> 4) Don't use the "2>/dev/null" in your startx script anymore.  At best
>> it is not needed since we are not a console app... at worst it is
>> redirecting a file handle that is not expected and may be causing
>> problems.  In fact, please try using startxdmcp.bat... it has much
>> fewer side effects that any other method of starting the server and
>> will rule out a few questions in my mind.
>

> I took out the /dev/null and your point is well taken.  Then I tried
> startxdmcp.bat but unfortunately the behaviour remains the same.
>
>> I understand what your problem is.  I also know that sometimes strange
>> things happen that I do not expect and trying a few things that don't
>> make sense often ends up fixing the problem and alerting me to
>> something that I didn't know what happening.
>

> I figured that you did and I understand that you are being meticulous
> with eliminating possible causes, but sometimes it pays to double check
> when no certain.
>
>> Thanks for testing,
>

> Well actually it is I who am thankful. It is really appreciated how well
> you support this list and my problem in particular. Thanks.
>
> What's next :-)
>
> - joel
>

>> Harold
>>
>> Joel Rosi-Schwartz wrote:
>>
>>> Harold,
>>>
>>> I tried both and the behaviour prevails.
>>>
>>> Just to make sure we are on the same page, I would like to reiterate
>>> that the problem only occurs when I log into pre-existing kde
>>> configurations. If I log in under a clean kde environment all is
>>> fine. It appears to be something that I configured in the kde