AW: Enabling SHM support in default build of XWin.exe

Thu Sep 18 00:16:00 GMT 2003

Ralf Habacker wrote:

> ... if linked to the static ipc-library. Using the cygipc dll results in an
> additional runtime dependency, which will produce windows runtime linking
> errors if the cygipc package isn't installed, which will produce more
> support noise dealing with this issue. Using the static library avoids this
> problem.

I think that you *should* use the DLL.  And add cygipc to the setup.hint
requires: of XFree86.  Not because I think that everyone should or will
'turn on' the daemon, but because:

you can't use libtool to make a DLL that has static dependencies
(without heroic effort).

Now, I know that XFree86 does not use libtool, but maybe I want to build
gtk or something that (a) does, and (b) links to XFree86 libs.   Since,
in this scenario, the XFree86 libs will have a link time dependency on
libcygipc.a -- I won't be able to build a DLL version of gtk (without
heroic effort).

What's the "support issue" you're worried about, Ralf?  One more
requires: library?  When Harold is busy spinning out expat, fontconfig,
and freetype -- what's one more?

--
Chuck