AW: Enabling SHM support in default build of XWin.exe

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Thu Sep 18 04:26:00 GMT 2003

Chuck,

Charles Wilson wrote:
> Ralf Habacker wrote:
>

>> ... if linked to the static ipc-library. Using the cygipc dll results
>> in an
>> additional runtime dependency, which will produce windows runtime linking
>> errors if the cygipc package isn't installed, which will produce more
>> support noise dealing with this issue. Using the static library avoids
>> this
>> problem.
>

> I think that you *should* use the DLL.  And add cygipc to the setup.hint
> requires: of XFree86.  Not because I think that everyone should or will
> 'turn on' the daemon, but because:

Oh don't worry.  I hadn't made my reply to this yet.  I am going to use
the DLL and add cygipc as a dependency.  SHM will only be enabled if the
daemon is setup properly, but it won't cause problems if it isn't setup.

The other thing here is that I am just lazy.  It would take more work
for me to make a static link to cygipc than to link to the DLL.

Thanks for your input,