AW: AW: Enabling SHM support in default build of XWin.exe

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker@freenet.de
Thu Sep 18 22:09:00 GMT 2003

Hi Charles,

> > ... if linked to the static ipc-library. Using the cygipc dll
> results in an
> > additional runtime dependency, which will produce windows
> runtime linking
> > errors if the cygipc package isn't installed, which will produce more
> > support noise dealing with this issue. Using the static library
> avoids this
> > problem.
>
> I think that you *should* use the DLL.  And add cygipc to the setup.hint
> requires: of XFree86.  Not because I think that everyone should or will
> 'turn on' the daemon, but because:
>
> you can't use libtool to make a DLL that has static dependencies
> (without heroic effort).
> Now, I know that XFree86 does not use libtool, but maybe I want to build
> gtk or something that (a) does, and (b) links to XFree86 libs.   Since,
> in this scenario, the XFree86 libs will have a link time dependency on
> libcygipc.a -- I won't be able to build a DLL version of gtk (without
> heroic effort).
> What's the "support issue" you're worried about, Ralf?  One more
> requires: library?  When Harold is busy spinning out expat, fontconfig,
> and freetype -- what's one more?

I forgot that the standard cygwin libtool has this limitation (I`m living on
the kde  [=older libtool release] side of libtool which uses a "pass_all"
lib filter and you're right that it is easier to maintain one package
(cygipc) as to recompile every package which is linked to the static cygipc
lib on every new cygipc release. Thanks for pointing this out. ;-)

Ralf