IPC/SHM is now supported by default in xoncygwin HEAD CVS tree

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Thu Sep 18 07:32:00 GMT 2003

I just checked in changes to the MIT-SHM
(xc/programs/Xserver/Xext/shm.c) and XFree86Bigfont
(xc/programs/Xserver/Xext/xf86bigfont.c) extensions that disable SHM
support when the Cygwin IPC daemon is not running.  This allows IPC/SHM
support to be enabled by default in Cygwin/XFree86.

I tried to define the functionality of an OS-specific SHM support check
as best I could, which resulted in adding a new function called
OsVendorShmCheck ().  This new OsVendorShmCheck function is called from
shm.c and xf86bigfont.c when DDXOSSHMCHECK is defined.  This system was
designed to work like DDXOSVERRORF and OsVendorVErrorF (), for example.

I believe that the generalization of the functionality should greatly
increase the chances of it being included in the XFree86 CVS tree.  I
will be submitting patches to XFree86 as soon as they commit my other
waiting patches.

There will be a new Server Test Series release sometime tomorrow that
includes this new functionality.