AW: IPC/SHM is now supported by default in xoncygwin HEAD CVS tree

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker@freenet.de
Thu Sep 18 22:09:00 GMT 2003

Hi Harold,

> I just checked in changes to the MIT-SHM
> (xc/programs/Xserver/Xext/shm.c) and XFree86Bigfont
> (xc/programs/Xserver/Xext/xf86bigfont.c) extensions that disable SHM
> support when the Cygwin IPC daemon is not running.  This allows IPC/SHM
> support to be enabled by default in Cygwin/XFree86.
>
> I tried to define the functionality of an OS-specific SHM support check
> as best I could, which resulted in adding a new function called
> OsVendorShmCheck ().  This new OsVendorShmCheck function is called from
> shm.c and xf86bigfont.c when DDXOSSHMCHECK is defined.  This system was
> designed to work like DDXOSVERRORF and OsVendorVErrorF (), for example.

this is obviously the right way, I have seen the related patches for ...BSD,
but doesn't know who to deal with.  Thanks for this efforts.

> There will be a new Server Test Series release sometime tomorrow that
> includes this new functionality.

I assume that the current xlib releases are linked without shm support ?
Then the new features of the Xwin Test server will only be usable if at
least the X11 and Xext libs are compiled with shm support.

Ralf