startxwin.bat - how to use an .xinitrc file

Thomas Chadwick j_tetazoo@hotmail.com
Thu Sep 25 18:10:00 GMT 2003

Sounds like I've got my Cygwin/Xfree setup the way you'd like.  You can do
it, too, in 3 easy steps...

1) Edit the file .bash_profile in your home directory and make sure the
X11R6/bin directory gets added to your path.  e.g.:

    export PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin

2) Put your .xinitrc file in your home directory and edit it to your liking.

3) Create a Windows shortcut (on the Desktop, for instance) with the
following target:

    C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\run.exe /bin/bash.exe --login -c "xinit --
-noreset -nodecoration"

The run part keeps bash from creating a dormant icon on the task bar.
The "--login" part tells bash to read .bash_profile.
The arguments after "xinit --" get passed to XWin.

That's all there is to it!