XWin glitch: alt-tab menu

Keith Thompson kst@mib.org
Sat Apr 10 10:35:00 GMT 2004

> I've installed the latest updates for Cygwin, including xorg-x11-xwin
> version 6.7.0.0-2.
>
> Hmm... this is suspicious, you claim 6.7.0.0-2 but your log file
> states 6.7.0.0-1. It could be my mistake, but you might also need to
> reboot to allow XWin.exe to be upgraded if it was being used when
> setup.exe was being run.

"cygcheck -f /usr/X11R6/bin/XWin.exe" reports "xorg-x11-xwin-6.7.0.0-2",
but "XWin -version" says "Release: 6.7.0.0-1".

> The output on stderr is a feature not a bug. Just redirect the output
> to /dev/null if you don't need it (e.g. XWin > /dev/null 2>&1).

Ok.

> Can I ask if you have a good reason for using fullscreen? I would
> think you might be more interested in -multiwindow (internal window
> manager), -rootless (needs an external window manager, but doesn't
> show root window), or -nodecoration (needs external window manager,
> does show root window but without window titlebar and border). I'm
> asking because almost no one uses -fullscreen anymore and I think that
> the problem you are reporting is peculiar to -fullscreen.

I definitely don't want -multiwindow or -rootless (just a matter of
personal taste), but "XWin -nodecoration" seems to work.  In fact,
"-fullscreen" and "-nodecoration" seem to work nearly the same, except
that "-nodecoration" doesn't have the alt-tab problem.  What's the
difference between them?

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst@mib.org  <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
San Diego Supercomputer Center           <*>  <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>