Hang related to clipboard processing

David Arnstein arnstein@pobox.com
Sun Apr 11 23:18:00 GMT 2004

I am having a problem with the latest Cygwin/X11 software suite.  I'm
using it with Windows 2000.

I use the program "xfig" to exercise the bug.  This program can be
installed from the cygwin setup.exe program.

First case:
----------

I invoke X11 as "setsid XWin -multiwindow -clipboard &".  I launch an
xterm, and from there, I launch xfig.  Within xfig, I select the tool
for drawing rectangles.  I launch the dialog box to select line color
and fill color.  While working in this dialog box, the X11 pointer
will eventually disappear.  I cannot do anything more at this point.
I cannot change to focus to another X11 application.  I cannot see the
pointer in any X11 application.  I have to kill XWin.

Second case:

I invoke X11 as "setsid XWin -multiwindow &".  I sleep for three
seconds (my little trick for increasing stability).  Then I do "setsid
xwinclip &".

I launch an xterm and xfig as in the first case.  I cause the X11
pointer to disappear as in the first case.  Once again, all X11
applications are unusable.  From a bash command window, I do a "kill
-hup" on the running xwinclip process.  This causes the X11 pointer to
reappear.  My X11 applications are now usable again.