Running XWin.exe and hideing the "status" window

Rob Bell RobDBell@hotmail.com
Fri Dec 31 16:07:00 GMT 2004

Esben Laursen wrote:
> Hello list..
>
> I have created a little frontend that uses the Cygwin/XFree packages to
> connect via, XDMCP or X11 to my Linux box. It works pretty okay, and
> recently I upgraded the Xwin.exe to version 6.8.1.0-1, but now I have a
> annoying "status window" popping up where all the info and stuff about the
> things it loads. It dosen't disapear when the X server is done loading.
>
> How can I hide that window?
>
> Here is the command line I use to connect..
>
> C:\Programmer\LinuxTSC\usr\X11R6\bin\XWin2.exe :0 -query
> 192.168.100.1 -screen 0 1024 768
>

> Hope you experts can help :-)
>
> Cheers
>
> Esben

I believe I know what you're talking about.  This behavior began with a
build a few months back.  If you search around there are various
discussions of it and a few ideas on how to avoid it when starting X.
The one I went with was to add 'run bash -c -l' to the beginning of the
launch command.  Basically this runs a 'login' shell around the command
that is happy to disappear after the command launches.

Here's what my command to start X-windows is like:

run bash -c -l "XWin -clipboard -silent-dup-error &"

You should be able to do something similar.  If you want more info do
some Google searches or check the archives of this list.

Rob