errors when switching users (security hole?)

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Sun Feb 29 07:21:00 GMT 2004

Sylvain Petreolle wrote:
> Alexander, dont you think startxwin.bat should exit
> if XWin fails to start ?
>
> This should be pretty easy to support in a batch file :
> start XWin -multiwindow
> if not errorlevel 0 goto badexit

Won't work.  "start" launches XWin, then returns to the batch shell
immediately.  So, the errorlevel is likely always 0 unless "start" can't
find XWin.exe.  You wouldn't have a trivial way to check if XWin.exe
actually succeeded in initializing.

Of course, I didn't read the earlier part of this thread, so maybe the
idea is to determine only if "start" did not find XWin.exe, but I think
the user gets a pretty reliable error message if that happens.