Configuration for multiple monitors

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Sat Jan 10 16:34:00 GMT 2004

Jack,

Jack Tanner wrote:
> Øyvind Harboe wrote:
>
>> perhaps the below should *always* be TRUE and there shouldn't be an
>> option at all?
>

> No, I'd like -nomultiplemonitors to exist.
>
> I have two monitors, but the second is usually turned off. Various X
> client dialog boxes and application windows usually come up in the
> center of my desktop, which means half on one monitor, and half on the
> other. If that weren't annoying enough, it makes life sheer hell when
> one monitor is turned off!
>
> This is why I do not use -multiplemonitors, even though I /have/
> multiple monitors. Even when both monitors are turned on, it's plenty to
> have one for X apps, and another for regular Windows apps.

That is pretty much why I would want to make sure we have a
-nomultiplemonitors switch.  In fact, we should finally look into a
system to allow the user to specify which screen we should start up on.
  That would be nice.

> Granted, the real solution to this issue would be to play nice with
> nVidia's nView software. It offers these modes for dual-monitor work
> (the following is copied verbatim from nView on-line help; the mode I
> use is Dualview, which I believe is nVidia's default):

Well, I have an nVidia graphics card now, but you'll have to contribute
to the fund to buy me a second matching Samsung SyncMaster 191T flat
panel if you expect me to be able to work on this :)  At the momement
(read: for the last three years) I have only one monitor.