How do I delete crashed cygwin/x directories on W2K?

Don V Black groups@ComputerBums.com
Sat Jul 31 17:57:00 GMT 2004

Earle -

You were right, thanks. The solution is logged below so
that it can be searched for in the archives.

At 04:37 PM 7/30/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>For undeletable files first run chkdsk /f on the drive and
>make sure it's clean.  Then try the steps listed in the MS KB
>article linked below, especially the subinacl command
>and the del \\?\ suggestions.
>
>"You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume"
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320081
The subinacl command resolved the problem by letting me change
the owner to Administrator.  The solution is described under the
"Combinations of causes" heading:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320081

I then successfully deleted the offending files.

>At 03:49 PM 7/30/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>>I have a couple of CYGWIN/X directories on my hard drive
>>that I cannot remove even when I logon as "Administrator".
>>...Note that I can only view, not change any security.  It seems that
>>"S-1-5-21-1844 ... ", which was most likely created by the installation
>>procedure, is the owner of the 'Shortcuts' files in the directories.
>
>-Earle F. Philhower, III
>  earle@ziplabel.com
>  cdrlabel - ZipLabel - FlpLabel
>  http://www.cdrlabel.com

Join the Pros at your IEEE Computer Society
          http://www.IEEE-OCCS.org

Digital ChoreoGraphics       http://www.dcgfx.com
3D Visualization Software    Design & Development
1-949-548-1969                 dcg02@softcafe.net