X/Cygwin icon proposal

Earle F. Philhower III earle@ziplabel.com
Fri Mar 12 06:48:00 GMT 2004

At 01:14 AM 3/12/2004 -0500, Harold wrote:
>Yes, some neat things are happening.  A little birdy told me that OpenGL
>acceleration is almost there...

glDoom, here I come!  As long as XWin keeps running runs w/o crashes for
longer than the interval between Windows patches, I'm a happy camper...

>>At 04:33 PM 3/11/2004 -0500, Earle wrote:
>>...a patch to the parser lexx/yacc to add a "TrayIcon xxxx" line and add
>>the usual support for "iconfile.dll,n" where n=icon ID (ie. "shell32.dll,5"
>>gives the floppy drive icon)...
>Yes, that sounds good.  Let me just double-check that the TrayIcon feature
>*would* allow you to select the second icon within XWin.exe, right?  That
>is okay that the icon for other applications could not index into
>XWin.exe, as long as XWin.exe can specify icons within itself.

Yup, that would be the plan:  If no .XWinrc file or no TrayIcon, run with
the present default settings (I guess whatever ICON 0 is compiled into XWin
is what you'll get).  Anywhere an icon is specified in the .xwinrc file, do
the following:
. If the iconame is just ",#" then load the specified icon number from the
XWin.exe resources
. else if the iconame is "<filename.exe/.dll>,nn" then load icon ID nn from
that file
. else use present load .ico flow
. If we're unsuccessful in loading the icon, use the default X icon from
XWin.exe

I also keep meaning to write a man page for the .xwinrc format, but since I
don't follow main cygwin app development I'm not sure if manpages are the
"preferred" format or if everyone is doing GNU Info files or something
else.  It's probably in one of TFM that I've not R yet. ;)

-Earle F. Philhower, III
  earle@ziplabel.com
  cdrlabel - ZipLabel - FlpLabel
  http://www.cdrlabel.com