xorg installation fails, 99% complete only

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Wed Nov 10 22:05:00 GMT 2004

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 10:50:58PM +0100, bruno patin wrote:
>>Is there some reason why you won't just run cygcheck.exe while setup is
>>hung?  Have you tried it?  AFAIK, cygcheck should be operational by the
>>time setup has gotten to installing X.  It really has to be operational
>>since cygcheck.exe comes along with the Cygwin DLL.
>>
>>Also, you could even run, oh I don't know, it's just a pretty drastic
>>suggestion, but you *could* run "ps -ef".
>>

>In fact I did not use ps -ef (and cygcheck by the the way) for two
>reasons: 1/ I was following what happened with the windows task manager
>tool (where I followed the memory consumption) 2/ At this step of the
>install, you do not have the .bat or .sh command

Just run the programs directly from the cygwin directory:

c:\cygwin\bin\cygcheck -r -s -v > blah1

c:\cygwin\bin\ps -ef > blah2

Also, I believe that Gerrit suggested sending the contents of the setup
log files.

>I was wondering, if I launch setup.exe from my first installed cygwin on
>another directory using strace, will there be interactions between the
>old and new install ? Is it possible to have two completely different
>cywin install ? If yes I would know what is the loop in the program.
>
>yes or no ?

strace is for cygwin programs.  setup.exe is not a cygwin program.  It
can't be.  Requiring cygwin1.dll to install cygwin1.dll would never work.

I appreciate that you're trying to think of solutions here but there
have already been a couple of suggestions that no one seems to have
bothered to follow through on.   Why not just humor us and provide the
debugging info that we're asking for?

cgf