Remote logon via XDMCP to Solaris and Linux

Terje J. Hanssen nteknikk@monet.no
Wed Sep 15 13:47:00 GMT 2004

Alexander Gottwald wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Terje J. Hanssen wrote:
>
>> > you can add the hostname to /etc/X0.hosts
>> > This will always grant the host access
>> >

>> "hostname" or "hostname +" ?
>
>$ cat /etc/X0.hosts
>localhost

Sorry, I don't understand the contain 'localhost'. Shouldn't
"/etc/X0.hosts" contain hostnames or ip's of the remote hosts (xdm, gdm,
dtlogin or kdm) that should be allowed to access the local Cygwin/X server?

>> Does Cygwin/X also need or use a user based auhentication?
>
>There are several authentication mechanisms. The host based and a
>ticket based. The hostbased is configured with xhost, /etc/X0.hosts
>and the ticket based with xauth

And is Xauth neccessary to use on Cygwin/X to be able to do a remote
login on Solaris that use it?

>see man Xsecurity for details.

>> > setenv DISPLAY local_win_ip:0.0
>>
>> I wonder why sometimes :0.0 is needed and other times not?
>
>Where is :0.0 not required?

Well, now I see that the Cygwin/X User guide page 19-20 also does
explain the use of both:

"....to connect to a single remote session using XDMCP:"
XWin.exe -query remote_hostname_or_ip_address

"You may login to several remote sessions .... Each session will need a
separate display number ..."
XWin.exe :0 -query remote_hostname_or_ip_address_0
XWin.exe :1 -query remote_hostname_or_ip_address_1

Thanks,
Terje J. Hanssen